Turkish Journal of Plastic Surgery

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2019  |  Volume : 27  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 19--22

Epidemiological and localization characteristics of non-melanoma skin cancers: Retrospective analysis of 400 cases


Siddika Findik1, Orkun Uyanik2, Mahmut Altuntas3, Zeynep Altuntas2 
1 Department of Pathology, Necmettin Erbakan University, Meram School of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
2 Department of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Necmettin Erbakan University, Meram School of Medicine, Konya, Turkey
3 Department of Family Medicine, Konya, Turkey

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Zeynep Altuntas
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, School of the Medicine, Necmettin Erbakan University, 42080 Meram, Konya
Turkey

Aim: In this study, it was aimed to investigate the epidemiological and localization characteristics of the patients diagnosed with nonmelanocytic skin cancer (NMSC). Materials and Methods: Histopathologic results of patients diagnosed with NMSC in the Pathology Department of Necmettin Erbakan University, Meram School of Medicine, between 2007 and 2017 were retrospectively reviewed. The age, sex, tumor type, and localization of the patients were investigated. Results: A totals of 400 patients diagnosed with NMSC were identified. 220 of the patients were male (55%) and 180 were female (45%). The male to female ratio was 220/180 (1.22). The age range was 10–105-year-old and the mean age was 67.8. Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) was found in 263 patients (65%), squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in 114 patients (28%) and baso SCC (BSCC) in 12 patients (3%). BCC and SCC were observed together in 9 patients. BCC was most commonly detected in the nasal region with (31%) 82 patients (50%). SHC was most commonly detected in the lower lip region with 26 patients (22%). The localization of the BSCC was most common in the nasal region with 6 patients (%50). The rate of BCC/SCC in the nasal region was 82/11. The BCC/SCC ratio in the extremity region was 4/14. Conclusion: In our region, the most frequent histopathologic diagnosis was found BCC in patients prediagnosed with NMSC, and most cases were seen in male patients. In cases of BCC a BSCC, the most common tumor localization was nose area while it was lower lip area in SCC cases. In addition, BCC and BSCC were not detected in the lower lip.


How to cite this article:
Findik S, Uyanik O, Altuntas M, Altuntas Z. Epidemiological and localization characteristics of non-melanoma skin cancers: Retrospective analysis of 400 cases.Turk J Plast Surg 2019;27:19-22


How to cite this URL:
Findik S, Uyanik O, Altuntas M, Altuntas Z. Epidemiological and localization characteristics of non-melanoma skin cancers: Retrospective analysis of 400 cases. Turk J Plast Surg [serial online] 2019 [cited 2019 Mar 20 ];27:19-22
Available from: http://www.turkjplastsurg.org/article.asp?issn=1300-6878;year=2019;volume=27;issue=1;spage=19;epage=22;aulast=Findik;type=0